Monday, November 4, 2013

Book Review: Eleanor & Park; Openly Straight; Fangirl




Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell:

This week I started with the novel Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. Set in the 80's this book spans one school year for the title characters. A red head with big hair and big-ish everything else and a half-asian boy who's not really sure what that's supposed to mean to him end up sitting together on the bus and it goes from their. This book was heartwarming and heartbreaking. I myself have never been in love but reading this makes me think that I have an idea of what it feels like.

8/10


Openly Straight - Bill Konigsberg

Openly Straight is funny and interesting. Konigsberg does a great of balancing out humor and intellect. He explores the ins and outs of discovering yourself and then being true to who you are. A fantastic coming out and coming of age story. With quick witted character, sensitive jocks and quirky best friends Openly Straight has easily become one of my new favorite books.

7.5/10


Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell

Out of all three books I read this week Fangirl was the story I was most able to relate to. The main character, Cather or Cath, is quiet, introverted and in a relationship with fanfiction and 18 years old. All of those things I would say are the same about myself. This book has wormed it's way into the section of my bookshelf reserved for favorites. Filled with ups and downs and excellent one liners - I love a good one-liner - Fangirl exceeded all expectations I had set for it and set high expectations for any book I read hereafter.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs